Following an eventful SunMet last year we’re excited for this year’s installment of horse racing, music, culture and most importantly the fashion aspect of the Met. On January 27 2018, Kenilworth Racecourse will be turned into Cape Town’s very own catwalk when this year’s theme, ‘Style Ahead of the Field’ encourages all race goers to come dressed in colours, prints and textures inspired by Africa.
In the first look, I’ve gone with a sky blue suit which symbolizes the African skies and I paired it with a woolen golfer which is brown in colour, brown symbolizes the rich soil in which we cultivate our plants which is the source of our food and essentially life.
Can you see how the theme doesn’t limit you to only the typical African prints?
To mix things up and add a bit of colour I then chose a printed pocket square with a complimentary feather lapel which brings life to the outfit and instead of wearing the traditional formal shoes, I’ve opted for a fresh pair of sandals which only Markham has consistently woven over the years.
A man in a powerful suit is irresistible in business, at a bar or anywhere in fact, ask your lady friends. For this look, I fell in love with this royal blue suit the moment I saw it and styled it with a detailed tie and a colorful pocket square. I feel like royalty wearing this royal blue suit and it’s definitely one to look out for when deciding on your outfit for the Met.
Finally, the tux with a twist. I personally found tuxedos very boring and only for older gentlemen while growing up. I eventually decided to rock one with a twist.
Instead of your conventional black tie with a tuxedo, I’ve bent the rules a bit.
A colourful bow tie with rich African colors and a complimentary pocket square.
To finish off this look, I’ve paired it up with a classic suede loafer which not only looks good, but feels very comfortable as well.
A few tips and tricks for those looking out to win best dressed couple this year:
- Don’t match, rather compliment each other’s looks with pieces like lapel flowers, or even a pocket square that matches her dress.
- Don’t forget your hat! It’s a Met rule, but then again, rules are meant to be broken!
- Always smile because that’s the final and magical touch to your exquisite outfit for race day.
- Be free and creative when interpreting the theme, don’t limit your look to following the keywords in the theme.
- Last but not least, don’t forget to take a picture of your outfit and tag Markham on the picture. You will stand a chance to be featured and your look will inspire other stylish individuals around the country.
Don your Afro-chic attire and get ready to celebrate Africa’s Richest Race Day in true style!
Written By: Anesu Chogugudza